What the hell kind of expression is that?
“Bound and determined”. What? You are tied up, but determined to free yourself?
“Come hell or high water.”
Who came up with that? Someone in a flood zone most likely. I still don’t get it. You are going to do something whether you face the fires of Hell, or whether it is at high tide?
“That’s how the cow eats the cabbage”. I use this one all the time. Another old man lame-ism backed, as usual, with no intelligent thought given. I have never in my life seen a cow eating a head of cabbage.
“That’s how the cookie crumbles.”
See Bruce Almighty.
“Rode hard and put away wet.”
If you leave out sexual connotations, it is pretty obvious that you took a long gallop on a horse and put it in the corral all sweaty and what-not.
What about the best one liners from movies?
We could do a hundred blogs on this subject alone, but in the interest of time, I will give you mine:
- “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
The number one quote from the only movie in history to win the Best Picture Oscar along with its sequel The Godfather II.
- “You’re my knight in shining armor.”
I don’t care how many times I watch On Golden Pond I am sure to be a mess when Kate delivers this line to Henry Fonda. (when you’ve seen as many of her movies as I have, you call her “Kate”)
- “We have two lives, Roy, the life we learn with and the life we live with after that.” Bernard Malamud’s words from Robert Redford’s masterpiece The Natural. Delivered with a very understated elegance by Glenn Close in what I think was her best-ever acting performance so far.
- “Here’s looking at you kid.” Makes me want to give Karen a knock to the chin. Doesn’t have anything at all to do with the movie.
- “Welcome to the New World, Captain.” This line is delivered to aging stud Sean Connery by the young stud (evidently Karen has decided it was Alec Baldwin’s “yummiest” look—she’s so scientific). I didn’t think the movie was all that, but it was the last line in the movie.
- “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” If Clark Gable had not made that statement heard the world ‘round, I would have in the first month of marriage to the Domestic Despot.
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” I can’t remember any time since 1975 that I was in a boat for ANY reason that this line did not pop up. I always thought Jaws was overlooked as a movie because of the shark and the effects.
Numbers 8-9-10 are all from the seminal golf movie Caddyshack. I don’t play a round without ever hearing at least one of the three.
“Real Cinderella story out of nowhere.”
“Oh he got all of that one.”
“It’s in the hole!”
The third one not so much.